Sunday, January 22, 2006

FFG INTERVIEW #1 - CHRIS RYNIAK

FOREVER FIFTH GRADE INTERVIEWS MR. CHRIS RYNIAK



#1) What Horror film do you feel deserves more credit than it has gotten so far to date & why (if possible)?

I know it's not really a Horror film, but Eraserhead scres the living crap out of me. The cinematography is masterful and nice to look at, but sweet dear lord is it a messed up flick. If you haven't seen it already, force yourslef through it, it will stick with you.




#2) Tell us about your resin sculpture, The MIDWESTERN. I see him as a classic character that needs to live on in sculpture and possibly in film. Who/What inspired him? Will We be seeing more of him in the future

Well, he's sort of the embodiment of my painted characters in the third dimension. I've always collected toys and wanted to produce something that was toylike of my own. I hadn't really sculpted since I was in high school, so I gave it a shot, then I figured out the molding and casting process, and BAM there it is. I made a total of 42 of them, 30 pink, 12 albino, So I think that edition is done. There are plans in the future for an East coast, a west coast and a dirty south figure.



#3) What is your most favorite piece of work that you have done up until now? Tell us why it is so close to you.

There is a piece I did recently that I called "Kobacha". My work is my way of sorting out my life in image form, sort of a visual therapy. The image might not make sense to anyone else, but people usually
inject their own meaning into the peice anyway, to make it profound for themselves. So back to Kobacha, it was a very theraputic piece that just happend to make a really nice image. I can't give away it's secrets though, maybe you can figure it out?



#4) We have read that you recently have lost up to 95lbs. Can you please give an inspirational statement to those wanting to get in better shape & feel good. Any favorite new recipes?

Oh yeah, that, ha ha. Well, there is no magic answer to getting in shape and becoming healthy, diet and exercise is the key. When I say DIET I don't mean I went on some orgainzed diet or plan, I just decided to change my entire way of eating for good. I cut out refined sugar, coffee, alcohol (not that I really drank in the first place) white flour, dairy, soda, MEAT you know all the good stuff. I replaced all that with a vegetarian diet with a lot of green stuff (viva la broccoli!)and soy products. But the key was the aerobic exercise in the form of jogging. I couldn't run 2 blocks when I started 10 months ago, but I went 6 miles a couple of days ago. Aside fromjust being thinner, I rarley get sick, I sleep like a champ and I can keep up with my 5 year old son. I just learned how to make Falafel, which isn't the healthiest, but man is it good.






#5) In your website portfolio, I saw Painting #2. I was drawn to this piece I am a big fan of Adidas shell toe sneakers as well as apes ? and albino apes are all the more better. If you could, please play the role of College Art History Professor & go through this painting pointing out the meaning behind the subject matter as well as the hidden symbolism.

It's not as deep as it looks really. When I was in high school, I would spend 2 hours a day at an advanced placement school for art. The other students at this school sort of cultivated my love for hip-hop music (Run DMC, Public enemy, etc). The kids back at my regular school would blaze GNR all day long and I hated that shit with a passion. So this peice is about just that, my dislike of GNR and my love of hip hop music. The peice is called "Public enemy #1" by the way, and there are plans to do a 3-d version of the gorilla with real hair this year.

#6) Can you tell us more about the 3D version of this Gorilla?

I'm making the sculpture for display at the San Diego comic con, I'll be at Toy Tokyo's booth with that and some other new stuff, including my book and plush. There aren't any plans to mass produce it yet, it'll be more of a showpiece. It'll be about 12" tall.

#7) Do you remember the 1st ?R? rated movie you saw & how old you were when you saw it? Did it affect you in a good or bad way?



Alien, I saw it when it first came out on VHS so I must have been like 6. It gave me nightmares until I was 13.

RYNIAK

1 Comments:

Blogger the chung said...

Ryniak's a liar about his diet!! i see how he always loads himself up with pizza, cotton candy, and booze everytime he comes to Detroit...YOU'RE NOT FOOLIN ANYBODY!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home